Today you won’t find this Belarusian village on the most detailed geographical map. It was destroyed by fascists in spring of 1943.
Khatyn is the former village of Logoisk district of the Minsk region of Belarus became a symbol of the tragedy of the Belarusian people, a sorrowful page in the history of the Great Patriotic War.
The memorial complex in the memory of 2230000 perished inhabitants of Belarus in 1969, this is every fourth person, was built on the spot where village Khatyn was burned together with its inhabitants. This complex embodied the idea of courage and disobedience of people.
On the way back from Khatyn to Minsk (only 54 km) we can visit another memorial complex of the Great Patriotic War – the Mound of Glory.
On August 18, 1966 the leadership of the BSSR adopted a resolution on the construction of a monumental and sculptural composition of the Mound of Glory in memory of the Soviet soldiers and officers’ heroism as well as honoring the victory in the Great Patriotic War.
On September 30 of the same year on the site, where the memorial stands now a memorial plate was laid and a rally was held, in which not only Minsk people, but also representatives of other hero cities took part. The participants of the rally took orders to the future generations to honor the memory of the past war and to be patriots of their fatherland. The order text was immured in a special capsule at the base of the mound.
The construction of the Mound of Glory which began in November 1967 became a national affair. Thousands of people considered it their duty to make their contribution to this and brought here handfuls of land.